Sunday, 24 October 2010

Cruising Around Southeast Asia - Soeul and Beijing

My plan is to blog about our trip in parts. It will take a while....so here is the first one.

We left Okinawa on October 1st and flew to Seoul, South Korea for a night. We were there less than twenty four hours and stayed at a hotel near the airport only to fly out straight to Beijing, China the next morning. While in Seoul (actually Incheon), we met up with Michael McCormick. Michael is my father's, mother's, aunt's grandson. = ) Basically a 2nd/3rd or so cousin of mine. He lives in Korea and met up with us to show us around. We road a public bus into the city, (spoke/hung out with a bunch of Korean girls who wanted to practice their English), walked around, ate some yummy Korean BBQ beef, got some coffee and chocolates, and took a cab back to our hotel. It was a great little evening to start off our long journey around Southeast Asia.

Perhaps one of the funniest stories of our trip happened while in Korea...... While in the cab on the way back to our hotel, (they do not speak English much) our cab driver offered us all a piece of "candy." I was reluctant at first, as this is a little weird. However, Michael and Colby each took a piece first so I joined in as well. Heck, why not try some Korean candy. To our surprise, the wonderful cherry candy turned out to be a HALLs cough drop. We could not stop laughing...and now when we see Halls, we ask one another "would you like some candy?" OK so maybe you had to be there........ Of course these pictures are out of order.......I tried to put them in backwards...UGH. The above picture is a picture of Colby and I with our Chinese tour guide who took us around Beijing for two days. His name was David and we had a private driver as well (no photo of him). It was a great way to see all there is to see of Beijing because they are really excited to show tourists around their home. We paid for a package deal to include the tours and the hotel and they took us around extra places as well. It was VERY worth the money!
Above is me and Michael outside the coffee shop we found. I took this picture to show my family who have not seen him in a long time! Cheese!!

Michael and Colby were observing the subway station map. It was all written in Korean. I am not sure why they thought if they stared at it long enough, they could read it. Well Michael can read some......Colby? Not so much!



Yummy Yummy Yummy Korean beef is SOOOO Good!!!! It comes raw to your table and you cook it in the center and make lettuce wraps!


I thought this hotel was super cool (Beijing). It is a 7 star hotel built for the Olympic games. The stadium is next to it (not in the picture). It is meant to look like a Dragon. The first building is its head and the buildings behind it is its body. Awesome!
Above is the longest corridor in the world (supposedly). It is a long walk-way with Chinese paintings around built at the Summer Palace for the "Dragonlady." I am not really good with history and I can't say I paid attention to everything our tour guide (David) told us, but the "Dragonlady" was the lady who controlled the young King during the Ming (I think) dynasty.


In the distance, you can see the Watercube and the Olympic stadium (the Birdnest) from the Beijing Olympic games. We did not have plans to tour them, but our guide stopped on the side the road so we could take pictures.

Above is a picture of a girl painting a vase at the Cressione factory. I know you have seen these vases before, but I had no idea how intense making them could be. I have better pictures of the process (I did not post on here), but they are all made out of copper and the designs on them are crafted with copper pieces molded into shape then they are painted by hand (in the spaces). They are later fired and glossed, etc. Much appreciation for these next time I see one.

We are standing in front of the Marble Boat at the Summer Palace in Beijing.


Us....In the sea of China-men at the Great Wall of China!! It was their national holiday while we were there so there were so many people everywhere. The part we climbed was pretty steep and something to experience.

Picture of the Great Wall of China taken from a distance, while we were driving there.

Colby and I standing in front one of the main buildings at the Forbidden City. Again......a LOT of people! The forbidden city looks much like Shuri Castle here in Okinawa, only much bigger!

Beautiful flowers planted at Tianaman Square in Beijing for their National holiday. Of course (like my Mom) I had to take a picture in front of them.


The front of the Forbidden City taken from Tianaman Square. They are separated by a main street.

Us at the Great Wall (again)........(out of order).
I must say, Beijing was one of our favorite stops along the way. We were very happy that we were able to stay there for 2 nights and 3 days. It gave us plenty time to see as much as possible. I would not mind returning (if we didn't have to pay $200-something for a China Visa). Having the opportunity to experience the Great Wall was awesome! I have plenty more pictures....but these are the highlights. We also went to a Jade factory, a Pearl factory, and were able to see a Chinese acrobat show! We really had a great time and the weather was PERFECT!
This concludes days 1-3 of our 22 days around Southeast Asia.......More to come soon!!

Posted with love,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment