Saturday, 27 February 2010

HOLY MOLY........We had an EARTHQUAKE!!

Well everyone!!!! It is true.....This morning at 0531 I believe Saturday February 27, 2010 for us all of us in Okinawa experienced a significant earthquake. It was reported to be a 6.9 then I read 7.3. The statistical size is insignificant to me. All I know is it was unmistakable and not cool!!
Since the start of the new year I have personally felt 3 (including this one). No one told me of such situations before we moved here!!! The first two Colby and I felt were definite motions but when I'd talk to some others they did not feel it as well, but those were reported as "smaller" ones.
This time............it was big enough for EVERYONE to feel it. Many people have said it was their alarm clock and woke them up out of a deep sleep.

I was at work with 3 of my co-workers and we didn't have any patients. We were on the 4th floor of the hospital and I believe you could hear the rumble before you realized you were moving. It is a pretty surreal experience. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life. We all stood there staring at each other. The other nurse was almost in tears and about to crawl under the desk, one of our corpsman was standing with his eyes wide open, the other corpsman was just looking around, and I just kept saying "Oh my God, Oh my God, Is it going to stop?, what do we do?" It kept getting louder and louder and more intense with time and it didn't feel like it was going to stop and when it did.....we all took a DEEP BREATH.....and the phones started ringing.

I immediately was worried about Chili (she was home alone) so I called a neighbor to ask about our houses, etc. I got home 30 mins later and she was fine. I wonder what she was doing?

Oh yeah......Did I mention Colby is still in San Diego for a class? He is due to come home tomorrow. Thank God!

Until then....we are still experiencing small aftershocks. They are a breeze compared to the one this morning!

All I have to say........................................THANK YOU JESUS FOR THE JAPANESE BUILT BOMB SHELTERS WE LIVE IN!! We might not have insulation and require dehumidifiers in our homes but at least they are built out of cement!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment