Saturday, 10 July 2010

A Weekend Up North

Well......I promised to do my best to stay on top of the blog so this is me.....being "on the ball." This weekend we went up North to Okuma. Okuma has a military 'campground' of sorts with rooms/suites for $75/night. Not necessarily 5 star but it works if you want to spend the weekend on the Northern part of the island. We chose to get off the base most of our time there (there is bikes to rent, a beach, etc) and explore both Cape Hedo and Hiji falls. We had a great time...........and a great work out for which we did not prepare very well.

Of course.........as usual............all of these pictures are very much out of order.......Maybe by the time I leave this island, I will learn how to get them in the order I want. We began our day on Saturday with breakfast then headed up to Cape Hedo. It was about another 30 or so minute drive from Okuma. Hedo is the most Northern point of the island of Okinawa. After going to Hedo, we drove to Hiji falls. Hiji encompasses approximately at 40 minute or so hike to the waterfall. The hike is quite a walk.....up stairs...down stairs...across a bridge....up more stairs......We only had one bottle of water between the two of us. I don't know what I was thinking giving the bottle to Colby to hold. He has this habit of drinking or eating whatever is in his hands........just because it is there. By the time I realized it, we weren't even half way there and he had drank all but about 3 sips "he saved for me." Needless to say....I did my best to ration it....but it only lasted until we got there. (We still had to hike back).
Anyway, above is a picture of a fluorescent dragonfly. They were EVERYWHERE along the trail. There were green ones and blue ones. I thought they were pretty....so I snapped a picture.
Once again..............picture out of order.......................
This is me this morning before we left...........we ate breakfast, grabbed a Starbucks and went sit out by the water for a little while. Look how pretty it is!

This is Colby on our way to breakfast. They have a small par 3 course on the base. YES HE PLAYED A ROUND....in the afternoon after out hike.


(out of order picture) This is Colby and I towards the end of the hike. I asked him if we could take a breather before going down and up more stairs. No water + hot humid weather + hiking = sweaty humans!





Colby stopping to check out the streams.



I stopped at the bottom of some steep stairs. These were the last ones of the entire hike....but I stopped here. I could view the waterfall from this point and I was afraid if I went any further that I would not make it back. Colby took the camera to the end of the trail and took a pic of me taking a breath on his way back down.







More stairs along the trail.



This is a little area/stream of water. This picture was taken at the beginning of our hike. We stopped here on our way back as well. The empty water bottle we were still carrying served us well. We filled it with cool water and used it to pour on us after sweating our butts off! = )


HERE IS THE WATERFALL. THE ONE WE HIKED VERY LONG AND HARD TO SEE. On our way walking back we saw many families with kids asking us, "how much longer," "is it worth it?" I offered a couple people to see our photos instead of continuing to carry their children all the way. I'm sure there was a sign in the front written in Japanese that said: "we advise you not to take children under the age of 10." Of course all the Americans had kids. We saw a few very tired fathers!


Below is the suspension bridge. Colby was very excited about this.....and of course he had to make it shake.





Below is a picture of Cape Hedo. It seemed a little like we were in Hawaii while up there.
We asked some locals to take a picture of us. Beautiful background!




These little disgusting beetles were EVERYWHERE. They were flying and landing on us and sticking to our shirts. It was pretty gross!! I took a close up to remember them forever = )



Needless to say, we had a great weekend. Chili spent the weekend at one of her friend's house. (The couple that watched her when we first moved here...has a little doggie). Now we are home and in an effort to avoid unpacking, cleaning the house, and washing clothes, we are about to take a nap. We like to blame it on the fact that we are on a "night shift schedule." We are having a little bit of a difficulty because our house is quite warm during the day upstairs. Its getting hotter and hotter each day here in Okinawa and I don't think our AC can keep up being that our "bunkers" are not insulated. Guess we'll have to sleep above the covers!
Hope all is well with everyone!
With Love,
Maggie
P.S. HAPPY RETIREMENT, DADDY!
P.P.S. WELCOME TO THE WORLD MISS ISLA ROSE EVANS......CAN'T WAIT TO GIVE YOU KISSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment