Sunday, 5 February 2012

Sakura Viewing

This is our third opportunity to go see the Cherry Blossoms in bloom and we finally made it up north to Nago to check it out.

For those of you unfamiliar with cherry blossom trees, I'll take a moment to explain their uniqueness (mainly because I did not know this before moving here).

I do believe there are SOME cherry blossom trees in the United States, but they are certainly not as abundant and easily found as they are in Japan. Although, Okinawa's prominent flowers are more tropical in nature (orchids & hibiscus....my favorites), there are still PLENTY cherry blossoms around the island.

Cherry blossoms bloom only ONE time per year.....Spring.....usually February depending on how mild the previous winter is. There is only a week or two they stay bloomed. I do believe there is such thing as white ones, but we only see the pink ones here. During the winter months, they look like dead trees.......then the 1-2 week blooming phase....then during the summer they are all green and just look like boring trees again.

Now I will perhaps be more aware of them when I'm in the states, but I've been told there are PLENTY in Washington D.C. (especially the White House).

They were given to the U.S. as a gift from the Japanese sometime in history.

Here are some highlights from our day trip.

Nago Castle Site Park

I have an obsession with these cool lanterns.


George "Chip" Kraft & Colby
(Chip worked with Colby in mental health here and in San Diego)






Orion Beer Factory
We still haven't made it out to the beer factory yet, but Orion is a local brew here in Okinawa.

Nakijin-jo Castle Ruins
(World Heritage Site)




There was a wedding about to occur while we were touring the castle ruins.....traditional Okinawan.

Bride & Groom?


We stopped at the butterfly park because Chip has never been and he is going to be leaving the island soon.


This little Japanese lady could NOT believe how tall Chip was........they were freaking out.....so, we got a picture.
Chip is about 6'7" or something....he told them "TWO Meters or 201cm".


Happy Super Bowl Weekend!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment