Monday, 2 November 2009

Starting life on Okinawa

Hello Folks,
This is a nice picture of the coastline outside of the Air Force base Kadena. This is on the west side of the island and the body of water is called the East China Sea. The weather hasn't looked like this for the most part. It's been windy with isolated thunderstorms with some typhoon like activity. Luckily we are coming to the end of their typhoon season here. They have more weather changes here than they do all year in San Diego.
Of the little that we saw of the island it seems that the coastline and water activities are its number one draw. Crystal clear water and picturesque coastline lends itself to spending days by the water and enjoying its natural beauty. But enough about the island.
I'll be starting work soon and Maggie will hopefully start sometime in the next couple months. Then we can begin to start a routine and explore some more. It takes moving across the world to notice how set in your ways you become and how you develop certain comfort zones staying in one place. That has become very evident now that we do not live above a grocery store. I can no longer walk down the stairs and pick up some mustard or fruit from our nice pantry in the basement. This place definitely forces you to step out of those comfort zones and just go for it. Never could have pictured myself walking into a restaurant in sandals, taking off my footwear walking bare feet all over the place and think that I was being respectful by doing so. Eating food in a restaurant barefoot is kinda hilariously. It makes you want to wear shoes and some fresh socks. These are just a couple of cultural differences that we have experienced so far. I'm sure there are more to come.
One other thing I would like to talk about is the BATS. Holy crap they are big. They look like the ones on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Pretty big animals. At first you think they are big crows or something till they land in a tree and are upside down. Don't have a picture of them yet but I think they are fruit bats. Might try to catch one if I get really bored and bbq it like on the Three Amigos. Yes I know another movie reference.
We have also sampled some of the local cuisine which has been very excellent. Sushi and noodles galore. Loving every bit of it. In the next couple weeks we are going on a farm and fish market tour. Hopefully I can get some meat or something on a stick. Till then I'll try some local stuff and spark up some creations of my own.
I have worked the wok before in San Diego but never had the ingredients to work with like I have here. I can't even pronounce the things I used, but the pictures on the bottles and packages helped. A little beef and noodle dish to break in the wok
More to come from Okinawa
Colby

No comments:

Post a Comment