Monday, 18 January 2010

A Visit to Shuri Castle with Loretta and Eddie

As Many of you already know, our first visitors were Loretta and Eddie. My dad had some business to do on this side of the world so they decided to come to visit us in the process. The weather was a little cold and rainy the entire time they were here, but I think they were just happy to see what this place is all about. We really didn't take too many pictures while they were here. I think my mothere may have more than I do. We went on an organized tour for New Years at Shuri Castle. Although I should know more history about Shuri, I will try my best to give a little bit of info regarding this beautiful Castle on our little island. Supposedly this castle was completely leveled during the Battle of Okinawa and since has been rebuilt. It is now a huge tourist place in Okinawa. This was our first visit. They were doing a "reinactment" of a New Year celebration while we were there. It was neat to see, but we got a little bored after the first set. I think they afternoon had more exciting parts but we left before that could happen.

This was the only picture we took of all of us. The castle is on a high hill/mountain top and it overlooks much of the island. In the background you can see the East China Sea. I think this is the only picture we took of the four of us. I like it!!

After the first part of the "ceremony" we went walk around the castle. It is a self guided tour of the castle. You must take your shoes off to walk around....so of course I took a pic of our feet (see first pic). While walking around the castle we were stopped by the "staff" b/c the kind and queen would be walking through the main doors (from the outside main courtyard) to the area of the "throne." So we were able to take some close up pictures of the "king and queen."

This is an old celebratory umbrella they used to use during the dancing ceremony.........I THINK??



This is that instrument you here in most "Asian" songs. You all know what I'm talking about!!


This is the front gate into the courtyard.












This last picture I believe is the best picture I took of the entire Castle....or the main castle should I say. They are doing to some re-painting...hence the ugly scafolding to the left....but you get the point. We are standing in the courtyard.....it is huge....so it was a little difficult to capture the entire thing with my Camera.
Well our visit with my mother and father turned out to be wonderful....OF COURSE.
Everyone here calls their Japanese "housekeeper" or "nanny" a MOMMA-SAN. I will say we definitely (is this the correct spelling, Mom) had our Momma-san here to visit for a good 12 days. We had a load of laundry, washed, dried and picked up each day. While at work, we had food cooked for dinner and a very clean house. Oh....and a VERY happy Chili dog. I told my mom before she left....."I'm not complaining, but thank God we don't have to pay our water bill."
Of course we made time for a pedicure at CoCo's. This is the place everyone here talks about. You sit in recliners and get long leg/foot massages and extreme art work on your toes. I wish I would have taken a picture of my fish on my toes and my mom's dragonflies.......but you get the picture.
Colby and dad were able to go play a round of golf....of course. I think Colby beat him by 1. Thanks, Dad for creating a monster!!!
We had some great food and some great quality time with both of them!!!
Thank you both for coming to visit!! We can't wait till next time!!!
Soooooooooooooo WHO IS NEXT????

Sorry its been so long!!
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment