Saturday, 23 February 2013

The Arsenal

Well....

Baby Lincoln had his 2 month well sick appointment this week on Friday.

His appointment had been originally made for Tuesday this past week, but I switched it to Friday in the afternoon in hopes that Colby could be present for the THREE shots he would have to endure.

I wasn't so lucky, but I did have my mother there for emotional support (for me). 

Anyway, Thursday night we went eat fried shrimp and french fries at my Mom and Dad's and  before we left he had developed a nasty wet cough and sneeze.

I woke up Friday morning with him and he was still coughing.  

He slept well (6 straight hours) despite the cough and really didn't "look" bad from my (somewhat limited-pediatric) nursing assessment.

I have TWO friends with brand new babies who recently had RSV, so I immediately began to get paranoid and texted away to find out what symptoms their kids had....& sent my mother to CVS before I had a chance to go to his appointment at 1pm.

To make a long story short........Dr. Alisha Totina said he just had a little tracheal congestion and only needed some J-tan (a baby decongestant) and warm mist humidifier.

This DARN WEATHER!

Louisiana never knows whether to be hot or cold or wet or dry.......

She believed he was even well enough to still get his 2 month well baby immunizations.....so that we did.
Only AFTER she completed the RSV culture upon my request........JUST to make sure (I had to know.)

We left the doctor and I had to make ANOTHER trip to the drug store (this time Walgreens) & Radioshack to find a 3volt battery for his thermometer (which somehow had a dead battery and was opened for the first time). 

So this is what our changing area (the floor) in his room looks like.

A&D ointment (prevention), Tylenol (pain relief from those THREE shots), Poly vi sol (so he can get his Vitamin D), Saline drops (for his nose), Baby chest rub, J-Tan (his Rx decongestant), HAND SANITIZER (always present even when healthy), Vaseline (apparently we have to keep using this for his circumcision ...on occasion), baby lotion (I like him to smell like a baby), & Aquaphor (he had a little rash on his belly.
A thermometer AND a battery operated "nose sucker"...recommended by a friend (I haven't tried it yet because his nose really isn't running). 

After the sick portion of his visit, we did discuss his growth and development and he is RIGHT ON TRACK!!  YAY!

10lbs 13 oz
&
23.5 inches long

For those of you who know the entire story behind the doctor (not Dr. Alisha) telling me my baby was "emaciated" at 2 weeks old, know how big of a deal this is!!
I did already sorta know this though.......because I DID purchase an at home baby scale.


It is now Saturday night and he already sounds better.
We'll keep him home for the next few days and hopefully it will be all gone.

xoxo
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment